IMPORTANCE OF ENVIRONMENTAL
Environmental packaging is becoming just as important as efficient warehouse packaging
Warehouse packaging is fundamental when it comes to smooth logistics.
Almost every product ordered online will come in some form of packaging. With global logistics now at the forefront of the warehouse industry, international businesses have the ability to carry out purchases in an instant, even on the other side of the world.
If you haven’t got a polished plan in place, efficient logistical operations is out of the question. Similarly with environmental packaging, researching and choosing a company that has a full process and can explain how it breaks down is important. Packaging is at the heart of it all. It improves not only the process of handling products but warehousing overall, information, transportation and inventory management.
In this blog, we discuss the importance of efficient and environmental warehouse packaging and how you can use it to the best advantage.
The low down
If you have enough time on your hands, you can handle warehouse packaging yourself. However, with the expectations of your business as a whole, it can become stressful to go it alone and as such, many companies choose to outsource. As mentioned above, packaging plays a key role in logistics, both in delivery and storage solutions.
Warehouse packaging options
- Air shrink packaging – Shrink wrap is a material made up of polymer plastic film. When you apply heat, it shrinks tightly over the product.
- Skin packaging – Heated film is draped over a product and onto an underlying layer, and a vacuum then draws the film down onto the package, securing it.
- Stretch wrapping – A highly stretchable plastic film that is wrapped around items. The elastic keeps the items together tightly.
- Blister Packaging – Blister packaging is a term for several types of pre-formed plastic packaging used for small consumer goods such as lip balm, foods, and pharmaceuticals.
- Overwrapping – An overwrap is applied over an item or is applied over another form of packaging. It is either made of plastic film or paper.
- Clamshell packaging – A clamshell is a one-piece container consisting of two halves joined by a hinge area which allows the structure to come together to close to store products such as fruit.
With the modern consumer, fast delivery is no longer considered a perk, but a standard expectation. With a proper packaging solution in place, quick delivery is clearly in sight. The key is to let the packaging do the talking and handle products as little as possible.
All packaging supplies that Bray Solution source are in line with the FSC (The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) is an independent, not for profit, non-government organisation established to support environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial, and economically viable management of the world’s forests.)
By including detailed labelling and correct information on warehouse packaging, you can ensure product handling will lessen, from receiving the product in the warehouse to delivery, saving warehouse staff time, money and reduces risk.
- Products are delivered safely and securely.
- Consumers receive products safely and securely.
- Hazardous materials are as safe as possible and conform with best practices.
- Packaging materials can be recycled and reused.
- Extend the life of shipped goods.
- Increase the effectiveness of storage facility, especially warehouse space.
All great things come at a price. But that doesn’t mean they have to be costly. Costs of materials can differ depending on:
- The size of the parcel.
- The type of package.
- Storage needs.
- Materials used.
- Shipping requirements.
- Nature of content.
- Method of transport.
The use of efficient packaging materials can save warehouses a considerable amount of money. Amazon is a great example of this, their reusable packaging solutions and processes prove to be effective with both receivers and shippers. If you choose to go it alone when it comes to warehousing responsibilities, you must invest in reliable, modern solutions that are re-usable.
Warehouse packaging best practice:
- Utilise print and label systems to ensure all goods have readable and correct information on each.
- Put Advanced Shipping Notifications policies in place.
- Decide on a well-written returns policy [hyperlink] that to prevent any miscommunication.
- Take note of every product coming in and out of the warehouse. A good Warehouse Management System will take control of this process so you don’t have to.
- Ensure minimal touch of products. The use of efficient labels and correct information on products should prevent this.
- Implement strict picking and packing procedures for all warehouse staff to follow. This will make less room for error.
- Invest in automation. Technology that can collect data, take note of product locations and print labels is key to the perfect packaging process [hyperlink].
- Use cross-docking directly to delivery to minimise material handling.
- Make sure all of the correct terms and conditions for products are in place. (Vendor Compliance Protocols.)
- Consider reviewing the supply chain on a regular basis to stay up to date on the best processes.
Not only do we pick and pack for you, but we also suggest the best warehouse packaging options for your business. The environmental stance is the same amongst all our packaging suppliers; that they recognise the need for sustainable development and continually aim to improve the environmental effect of activities.
We only source packaging from suppliers accredited with ISO14001. This standard is the most important standard within the ISO 14000 series. ISO 14001 specifies the requirements of an environmental management system (EMS). An EMS is a systemic approach to handling environmental issues within an organization. The ISO 14001 standard is based on the Plan-Check-Do-Review-Improve cycle.
Speak to us today to see if we can help you with both environmental and effective packaging. Call us on Phone: 01780 784875 or email us email@example.com
Seasonal inventory such as back to school stationery and Christmas necessities have a shorter time frame to turn such inventory into cash. Click to read.
We have had one of our most successful years to date & the excitement continues with the possibilities of what 2020 has to offer! Click to read the stats.
Black Friday and Cyber Monday weekend is one of the busiest times here at Bray Solutions, and this year it did not disappoint. Click to read.